Pumpkin plants are perennial herbs. The root is spread around the space enough. Green Pumpkin is a ready vegetable to be used as curry. The aged or ripen Pumpkin can be stored for a long and can be used as curry even after 4-6 months. Pumpkin helps to prevent diabetic.
Nutrition of Pumpkin
Pumpkin contains much nutrition. Much like ridge gourd and green bean, the Pumpkin that contains vitamin A, is popular as vegetable. Beside this, it can be used to prepare a special recipe being cooked with fishes.
Every 100 gm. Pumpkin contain:
- Energy- 41 Kilo Calories
- Protein- 1.4 gram
- Carbohydrates- 4.5 gram
- Fat- 0.5 gram
- Mineral Salt- 0.7 gram
- Vitamin B- 0.7 mg
- Vitamin C- 26 mg
- Calcium- 48 mg
- Cholesterol- 0.6 mg
- Iron- 0.7 mg
- Karo-tin- 7200 micro gram
Soil for Pumpkin Farming
Pumpkin yields well in Sediment Island. Like Okra, Loamy soil which contains organic manure is suitable for it. Acid- alkalinity must be within 5.5-6.8.
Season for Pumpkin Farming
Pumpkin is mainly a winter seasonal vegetable. We need to have full and proper preparation for farming Pumpkin before the winter. Yet, it is needless to mention that Pumpkin can be stored for a long. So, we can get them almost all around the year.
- Seedling can be produced in poly bags.
- 3×4 inches (8×10 cm) poly bags are suitable for the purpose.
- Additional holes can be used at the bottom of the poly bags for licking water.
Sowing Seedling in Poly Bags
- 50% soil and 50% cow dung (organic manure) are mixed with clay.
- Joe should be confirmed at first.
- Then sow two seeds per bag. Sow two seeds at per hole having a depth double of the seed.
The Amount of Seed
Required amount of seed is 2.5 gm for per century. Amount of fertilizer and application method is as below (per century).
|Rotten cow dung/ compost||32||24||16|
Half of the Organic fertilizer, TSP, Zinc, Magnesium and boron are applied making the soil. The rest will be applied sowing the seeds. Urea and MOP are equally divided into three parts. The first part is applied at sowing time, after 15-20 days, and finally 35-40 days after the seedling grows up.
- Seedling of 15-16 days old should be planted.
- Ploy bag needs to be removed being cut off and the empty space must be filled with soil after the seedlings are being planted.
Planting time: 1 month
Period of harvest: 75-80 day
Production: 18-20 tons/ acre
Kind of Pumpkin
Pumpkin is mostly known by the very name. There are several types of Pumpkin farmed all around the country. Acorn, Aladdin mini turlon, Amber cup, Blue ballet, Black futsu, Black forest and Blue Hubbard are note-worthy among them. One can produce according to his wish, demand and necessity.
This video credit by – Daytime Blue Ridge
For successful Pumpkin farming, insect management is a must for expected production. The steps are recommended to follow.
Pumpkin’s Fly Insects
- It lays eggs in flower and over small Pumpkin.
- The young fly born and eats the flower and Pumpkin as well.
- Affected flower and Pumpkin need to be collected and destroyed.
- Make the land clean.
- Sex pheromone trap may be used.
- Pesticides can be used if the situation goes out of control.
Red Pumpkin Beetle
Types of Loss
- Such kind of flies devours the grown tree and leaves.
- Also attacks the flowers and tender.
- If the affected plants are noticed, collect them, kill the insect immediately.
- Keep the field clean all the time.
Type of loss
- They attack the tender trees, eat the leaves and the leaves seem to be yellow. Plant loss their freshness, maturity and growing rate.
- At primary level, affected leaves and tip insects fodder can be killed by hand.
- The quantity of the loss can be reduced by refined the seeds with seed refiner.
- Attack of this insect can also be minimized by saving friendly pests.
Diseases and Remedies
For ensuring proper production, we must identify the diseases to take proper steps. Here some of the common disease.
White Powder Disease
Symptoms of damage
- Firstly the disease is noticed at leaves which are at the bottom of the tree and gradually spread all over the plant.
- There are several white spot on the leaves.
- Plants get yellow or brown color as the disease affects the tree gradually.
- Sometime the plant dies out being affected bitterly by the powder.
Symptoms of damage
- The disease affects only the leaves. There are several spot on the leaves.
- The spot grows rapidly in size and quantity. There are purple spots and fungus on the leaves at the bottom.
- The weeds must be cleaned from the farming area.
- Must be refrained from cultivating Pumpkin like vegetable around the farming area.
- Advanced cultivation reduces the incidence of diseases.
Take immediate measure or have a consultation with an agriculture officer if the attack seems to be bitter or out of control.